In this article, Nitin is going to analyze the scenarios of terrorism prior and after the 9/11 attack.
“Either you are with us, or against us” was the war-cry of George W Bush in the aftermath of a deadly plane crash in the World Trade Centre by Al-Qaeda.
It’s been nearly 2 decades when a Holy War in the name of Islam evolved into “Global Terror” because of a terror attack in the US on 11th Sep 2001 infamously known as 9/11.
There are 2 nations in this world India and Israel who kept facing the outrage of State-sponsored Terrorism by Pakistan and Palestine respectively prior to 9/11.
Both the nations tried to put this in the UN (United Nations) numerous times yet no one paid heed to it. It was this attack planned by Osama Bin Laden (then head of Al-Qaeda) which opened the eyes of major powers in the world.
The Terrorism Prior and After the 9/11 Attack
Historical Underpinnings and events
• In 1979 USSR invaded Afghanistan to crush the US influence
• In 1979 Iranian Revolution, led to the overthrow of the Pahlavi dynasty which was supposedly close to the US.
• In 1980-1988 Iraq during the reign of Saddam Hussein attacked Iran.
• In the early 1980s US invested in Pakistan to train local militias and provided them arms and ammunition to fight Soviet Forces.
• In the late 1980s Pakistan started its policy of “Bleed India with thousand cuts” by instigating Radical Islam in J&K (India), using the resources provided by the US.
• In the 1990s Taliban who fought against the Soviets won and later got divided into numerous factions, Al-Qaeda emerged out of it.
• In the 1990s ethnic cleansing began in Kashmir (India) which caused a mass exodus of Kashmiri Pandits.
• In 1998 Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden blamed the US for keeping its forces in Saudi Arabia which is a holy land because of Mecca and Medina (Holy Shrines).
• In 1999 India-Pakistan war at Kargil.
• In 1999 IC-814 Plane Hijack which was an Indian Plane. The plane was made to land in Kandahar (Afghanistan) and 3 Terrorists were released to bargain passengers.
• In 2001 the Indian Parliament was attacked.
In the above picture, Ronald Reagan President of the US (1981-1989) can be seen talking to the Taliban.
The US under the Presidency of Ronald Reagan provided arms and ammunition to local militias (Taliban). Further ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence) created the Haqqani Network to deal with these militias.
Pakistan’s state-sponsored Terrorism
Haqqani Network is also responsible for fabricating many terror outfits like Jaish-e-Mohammad, Lashkar-e-Taiba, Hizbul-Mujahideen, etc and they were sent India to carry out attacks. India has witnessed countless bombings in Delhi, Hyderabad, Jaipur,Bengaluru,Varanasi, and many other places. Mumbai 26/11 is another deadly attack on Indian soil. Nowadays Fidayeen type (suicide) of attacks on Indian Armed forces has risen sharply like- Pathankot, Uri, and Pulwama
Afghanistan is generally called the “Graveyard of Empires” as no one in the past has ever been able to establish proper control. Afghanistan doesn’t have a central rule of power as it is dominated over different areas by different powers like the Taliban, Afghanistan Govt, etc, and recently added is ISIS.
US along with NATO forces have started withdrawing from Afghanistan after making it a war-torn nation. But this power vacuum will definitely be filled. China with Pakistan could play a role.
Taliban is still under the dialogue process and the democratically elected Afghan Govt of President Ashraf Ghani. The rise of ISIS-K (ISIS in Khorasan province in Afghanistan) is also a matter of concern. India supports Ashraf Ghani Govt and trying to deal with the Taliban.
People generally don’t pay attention to events in Afghanistan as recently Vice President of Afghanistan nearly escaped an assassination attempt by terrorists. Present-day Afghanistan events are the foundation stone for future day Indian events.
One must always learn from their history, Karl Marx once quoted “History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.”
As the US is now withdrawing troops from Afghanistan, it’s now the matter in hand for Indian-subcontinent players to make peace over there.
India always has been a flag-bearer of peace and tranquillity and does hold this virtue by providing aid and assistance to Afghanistan. But certain red flags are raised at regular intervals as many Indians are joining ISIS-K which is a very big challenge in the upcoming time.
In the end, I would conclude by Chanakya’s quote- “Learn from the mistake of others… You can’t live long enough to make them all yourselves.”
If you think this analysis of terrorism prior and after the 9/11 attack has something missing, let us know.
SpiderPosts may or may not agree with the whole content. Follow the guest author on Twitter.
Also From The Author: What Will Be The Impact of Trump vs Biden [November 2020] on India?